With several George Foreman grills models in the market, there are a few different ways to clean one. However, what you should not do is use scorching pads to clean a George Foreman grill. Hard scrubbing materials will scrape off the non-stick coating on your grill, which ruins it. Also, do not immerse your entire grilling unit in soap water. Although there are certain areas, you can clean, but areas like the heating elements could get damaged when you immerse it in water.
Cleaning a George Foreman grill is relatively straightforward only when you know how to do it. Clean your George Forman grills regularly to extend the longevity of your grill. Apart from that, cleaning it will keep it ready for many future grilling adventures. Some George Foreman grills feature removable plates, while others are not removable. Either way, whatever the type of George Foreman grill you’re using, cleaning it is simple. In this how-to clean a George Foreman grill review, we would look into some easy steps for cleaning different types of George Foreman grills.
Contents of This Guide
How to Clean a George Foreman Grill
So, the big question is, how do you clean a George Foreman grill? First, not all George Foreman grills are the same. The cleaning method you’d use for an electric George Forman grill differs from that in a charcoal George Forman grill. As such, here are some tips you will find helpful when cleaning different types of George Foreman grills.
How to Clean Basic and Panini Grills with Non-removable Plates
- You’d need a couple of parchment paper, a towel, sponge, soapy water, and a non-metal tong.
- First, you’d need to unplug the Panini grill and allow it to cool down. Most Panini grills are electrical grills, and the plates are non-removable. As such, you’d need to be careful with the amount of water you use to clean.
- Dampen the towel in the soapy water and wipe the plates. As you wipe, get as much grime and debris off the plates. Be sure also to get in-between the ridges, but be careful as you clean, so you don’t burn yourself.
- You can also dampen the towel and place it on the bottom plate while the grill is still warm, and close the lid. The heat from the grill creates some steam that softens food particles and chars to remove quickly.
- Use a soft sponge and mild soapy water to wipe down inside the grill, to remove any residual grease on the plate properly. Be sure to wipe off any fat as dripped. Once done, wipe again with a clean sponge and clean water.
- Clean with a dry towel, and allow to air dry properly.
- If you do not want to go through the stress of cleaning a Panini grill, you can line the plate with aluminum foil, or parchment paper before cooking on it. Use a large piece to cover the bottom plate and fold over to protect the top plate. After grilling, you can easily toss the paper away, wipe the plate’s surface, and not go through any long cleaning hassle.
How to Clean Advanced Grills with Removable Plates
- Cleaning a George Forman grill with a removable plate, you’d need a sponge, warm soapy water, and a towel.
- Like cleaning any other grill, you need to give it time to cool down. At the same time, you don’t want it to cool down completely, so it would be easy to wipe down. As you wait for 5-10 minutes for the grill to cool down, you can enjoy your grilled food.
- When cooled down to a warm level, remove the plate and place it in a sink. Use the warm soapy water and sponge to wipe down the plate. We are using warm water in this case because the warm water softens food particles, making it easy to remove. Moreover, warm water melts any cold grease on the surface, making it remove easily as well.
- Since the plates are either made of ceramic or non-stick coating, they wash easily and are dishwasher safe. After washing the plates, rinse with clean water, and keep to drain.
- Also, please take out the drip tray, dispose of the grease in it, and wash in the sink with warm water and a soft sponge. Generally, avoid using brushes when cleaning Foreman grills as it can scrap the non-stick surface.
- Do not forget to clean the firebox, if you use a gas grill, and heating element if you use an electric grill. This area isn’t always all that dirty so that a damped towel would suffice for cleaning.
- Wipe the exterior of the grill with a soft wet sponge and dry with a dishtowel. Allow the entire grill to dry properly before storing it.
How to Clean Indoor/Outdoor George Foreman Grills
- To clean an indoor/outdoor George Foreman grills, you’d need a soft sponge, warm soapy water, non-metal tong, and paper towels.
- The best way to approach cleaning this type of George Forman grill is by cleaning it while still warm. Place a damped paper towel on a non-metal tong and use it to wipe down the grilling surface. But be careful as you clean, so you don’t burn yourself.
- You can let the grill cool down before removing it from the stand. Then you can wash the grill down properly. Use the soft sponge and warm soapy water to wipe the grease and food particles on the grill.
- Place the grill vertically in a sink and use a faucet sprayer to rinse it. But as you rinse with the spray, be careful not to let water get into the heating element.
- You can wipe the grill’s lid with the same soft sponge and warm soapy water, then rinse properly. If there is a temperature gauge on the lid, be careful not to damage it while cleaning.
- Don’t also forget to clean the drip tray. Dispose of any grease in it, then submerge in soapy water and wash by hand.
- Allow every part of the grill to dry properly before coupling it back together to store.
How to Clean George Foreman Grill Drip Tray
- Cleaning the drip tray of George Forman grills is the easiest part of this grill. You’d need a soft sponge, warm soapy water, and a towel, which is optional.
- First, you need to remove the drip tray from the grill. All George Forman grills feature a removable drip tray, so you can easily slide it out. So, slide out the drip tray and do away with all the goos.
- Place the drip tray in a sink and use a soft sponge and soapy water to clean the tray. Avoid using a hard brush to remove tough food particles that wouldn’t come off. If any food particle proves stubborn to remove, you can leave it to soak in the warm water for a couple more minutes.
- Rinse the drip tray with clean water. If you like, you can now use the towel to clean off the water from the drip tray, or you could leave it to air dry before storing it.
George Foreman grill additional cleaning tips
- The smartest way to easy clean George Forman grills is to clean it soon after using it. Leaving your grill to lay around dirty for a long time only makes it more difficult to clean when you eventually want to clean it. As the debris hardens, you may be forced to spend extra time making them soften first before actually scrubbing them off with a soft sponge.
- Also, no matter how tempting it might be, avoid the urge to use a brush on your grill. Hard brush ruins the non-stick coating on your grill. Apart from bristle free brushes, avoid using harsh chemicals as well. Always use nylon, wooden, or wooden utensils not to scratch the coating of your grill.
- The non-stick and ceramics surface of George Forman grill boasts of being able to cook without fat. However, it is best to grease your grill’s cooking surface before grilling to make it easier to clean after use.
- Always make sure your grills are unplugged before you attempt to clean your grill. You only expose yourself to electrical hazards and damaging your grill by trying to clean it when plugged.
- We recommend cleaning your grill while it is still warm. A warm grill always food particles to remove easily. And don’t be in a hurry to remove the drip tray while cleaning. You should clean the grill’s surface first so that the drip tray will catch any food particle you are wiping down.
- If the plates on your grill are removable, remove it and wash it in a sink using warm soapy water. In the sink, you soak it allowing every tough food particle to soften and wash off easily.
- If your grill’s plate smells of the food, you cooked last, especially fish, simple rub lemon on the surface. Let the lemon sit on the plate for about 10-15 minutes then rinse with a wet sponge or water from a faucet sprayer. The lemon should get rid of the odor.
In conclusion, with this review, you can see that not only can you cook delicious grilled meals, but George Forman grills clean easily. Now that you know how to clean a George Forman grill, the rest is up to you. But it is recommendable to clean your grill immediately after every use. Cultivate the habit of cleaning your grill regularly. If you have any questions about George Forman grills, kindly leave a comment below.